The 'What If' plan

If the person you care for is receiving support from a Community Mental Health Team, and has a care co-ordinator, then you can talk to them about what would happen if there was an emergency and you were unable to continue caring. Your care coordinator can request a referral to the 'What If' plan scheme. This scheme is run by a care provider called the Carers Trust. They will interview you to work out what help the person you care for would need if you were unable to help them for up to 48 hours. This way you do not have to panic about how the person you care for would manage were there to be an emergency as you would simply request the plans activation.

If they are not open to a care co-ordinator you can ring Cambridgeshire Community Services to see whether you and the person you care for is eligible. They normally begin this process by asking you questions over the telephone and then arrange for a care manager to come and see you and the person you are caring for at home where this is appropriate. The last part of the process is where a coordinator from Crossroads comes to see you. They run the ICER scheme and will talk with you about how they can best help in an emergency. 

Sadly, not everybody is eligible, but the contact centre can give you advice and guidance over the phone if you cannot find what you are looking for. 

For more support and advice for carers click here.

The page was last updated on 10 December 2015 by Mark.Cole.


Cambridgeshire and Peterborough NHS Foundation Trust
Elizabeth House, Fulbourn Hospital
Cambridge, CB21 5EF

T 01223 219400 (open 8:30am to 5pm)
F 01480 398501

IIP-logo-reversed Mindful-employer NHS-Employers-web Triangle-of-Care-member Twitter Logo Youtube Logo Facebook Logo Instagram Logo Wordpress Logo