Who Cares for the Carer


Who cares for the carer?


On this page you will find links to resources ranging from support groups for carers, looking after yourself, through to advice on housing and welfare. Registering as a carer at your GP surgery can help with: 

  • Flexible appointments
  • Your GP will monitor your health more closely, as he/she will be more aware of your commitments as a carer and any associated health problems.

 If your loved one is registered with a team at CPFT, the team will be able provide information on how you can best support your loved one and how to access support such as a carers assessment.

 Self-referral service for informal carers
CPFT's Psychological Well-being team has launched a new self-referral service. 

Carers can self-refer online here or by telephoning 0300 300 0055 or they can still discuss a referral with their GP. They offer short-term, evidence-based psychological treatment for common mental health difficulties such as stress, anxiety, low mood and depression.  All the treatments on offer are recommended by The National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE).

Support and information for Carers

Centre 33 provides information and support for younger carers

Rethink Carer support Cambridgeshire and Peterborough group provides support for carers, friends and families who are supporting loved ones affected by mental illness. Please contact 07783 267013 or email CambridgeRethinkGroup@rethink.org for further information

 Rethink mental illness is a national charity providing support for people caring for  loved ones with a mental illness

BEAT  is the UK's leading Charity supporting anybody affected by eating disorders, anorexia, bulima, EDNOS or any other difficulties with food, weight and shape. 

Caring Together  provide information for carers. 

Making Space support carers who provide practical help and /or emotional support to a friend, relative or partner living with a mental health condition 

Contingency Plans for Carers (also called back-up plans or ‘what-if’ plans)

Many carers worry what would happen if for any reason they are unable to provide support to the person they care for. For this reason, it is sensible to prepare a contingency plan with you so that you can make arrangements for any support that needs to be provided in your absence and if/when an emergency arises. We will work with you to develop this contingency plan and we undertake to keep a confidential copy. If you are not offered the option of a contingency plan when you have your carer assessment, please ask us. It is your right to have a contingency plan even if you do not want a carer assessment.

Your contingency plan may contain details such as:

• A contact name and number of someone who is willing to help in an emergency, such as a relative or friend

• Details of the support provided for the cared for person

• Whether there are any access issues to the cared for person’s accommodation

Contingency plans can be shared – with your consent – across multiple agencies. This could include sharing a plan with a GP or social care provider.

Who provides me with my carer assessment and/or contingency plan?

If you live in Cambridgeshire and you are caring for an adult who is not receiving on-going mental health intervention from CPFT or local authority adult social care support - including people who are funding their own care and support and young carers up to the age of 18 - then Carers Trust Cambridgeshire is responsible for undertaking carers’ assessments.

If you live in Peterborough and you are caring for an adult who is not receiving on-going mental health intervention from CPFT or local authority adult social care support - including people who are funding their own care and support and young carers up to the age of 18 - then carers’ assessments are undertaken by Peterborough City Council.

If the person you care for is receiving ongoing mental health intervention, for example from a CPFT community team or inpatient service, CPFT is responsible for making the arrangements for carer assessments. There are a few exceptions to this rule - for example, where service user contact with CPFT services is brief, such as in First Response Service, Psychological Wellbeing Service or A&E. In these situations, CPFT will assist in signposting you to the most appropriate service.

We appreciate that the arrangements may seem confusing so please ask us if you are not sure about who is responsible for your carer assessment and we will assist in signposting you to the organisation most appropriate for your circumstances.

The page was last updated on 05 May 2020 by carers.editor.

Cambridgeshire and Peterborough NHS Foundation Trust
Elizabeth House, Fulbourn Hospital
Cambridge, CB21 5EF

T 01223 219400 (open 8:30am to 5pm)
F 01480 398501

IIP-logo-reversed Mindful-employer NHS-Employers-web Triangle-of-Care-member Twitter Logo Youtube Logo Facebook Logo Instagram Logo Wordpress Logo